Byrd, Joe R.
Joe Russell Byrd was taken from his home in Farmers Branch to be with his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ on November 9, 2013 at the age of 58. Born March 13, 1955 in Baylor Florence Nightingale he suffered from Adult onset of Myotonic Muscular Dystrophy which ultimately took his life. Joe was a 1973 graduate of R.L. Turner High School. For the years his health permitted, he was employed in the family business as well as retail. He was a member of First Baptist Church, Farmers Branch, having accepted Christ as a young boy.
He is survived by his mother, (Judy) Julia, Brother James and wife Susan, Sister Janet McCarty and husband John, much loved nephew Pierce Byrd, and several aunts and cousins. He is predeceased by his father, Joe B. Byrd, his grandparents, Ross and Era Russell and Bill and Bertha Byrd.
Funeral Service, First Baptist Church of Farmers Branch, 13017 William Dodson Parkway, Farmers Branch at 10am on Tuesday November 12. Family will welcome guest before and following the service. Graveside Service will be at 3:00 pm at Sunset Cemetery, Gilmer, TX. If desired memorials may be given to the Chime Fund of First Baptist Church of Farmers Branch, 13017 William Dodson Pky., Farmers Branch, 75234,The Muscular Dystrophy Association, 12655 N Central Expy. Ste. 230, Dallas TX, 75243 or the charity of choice. The many prayers, acts of kindness, and expressions of concern during his last days were so deeply appreciated by Joe and his family.
It was such a nice pleasure to meet you, and what you had planned for my father just took my breath away. It was so special to hear you tell us how he would just come over to talk with you. I think it brought him much comfort. Tha you for putting that Air Force article of him on your website. I am going to have a replica made of the painting of his plane to give you. Thank you again for all you have done to honor our dad. Love, The Gillilands
Get In Touch
North Dallas Funeral Home
- When a Death has occurred please call us to make arrangements and to have one of our care team members assist you and your family immediately.
- Click here to Download the Cremation Forms
- Have the cremation authorization form notarized
- Fax the forms back to us at:
- Fax the forms back to us at:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Facts about Funerals (PDF)
- General Price List (PDF)
- Hospice Groups in DFW Metroplex
- Hospitals in DFW Metroplex
- Flying with Cremated Remains (PDF)
- Social Security Information (PDF)
- Appointment of Agent to Control Disposition of Remains (PDF)
- Area Cemeteries
- VA Burial Benefits
- VA Applications and Request Forms
- VA Organizations
- Texas Prepaid Funeral Contracts
- What to Bring to the Arrangement Conference
- Consent to Publish Form
Julia and family,
May our good and very caring God be with all of you at this difficulkt time. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.
Jo and Harold Covin
I never had the blessing of having known Joe Russell, but I had the privilege of praying for him at First Baptist Farmers Branch.
I missed the blessing of having known Joe Russell but I participated in the privilege of praying for him and his family.