Linda Pickens crossed over from this life July 30, 2021 unexpectedly. Born August 11, 1942 in Toledo, Ohio to Lellon Jennings and Nettie Josephine Chisam (Morris). Linda graduated from Whitmer High School in 1960 and attended Harding University. After receiving her bachelor’s degrees in biology and sociology in 1964, she taught elementary school in Beebe, Arkansas. Linda moved with her late husband, Dale Pickens, to Dallas, Texas in 1971 when Dale received a job offer with Alford Merony Accounting Firm.
The family moved to Garland, TX in 1978. Linda worked as a school teacher and for the Melrich Collection. In addition, Linda had her own catering company, Linda’s Corner Pantry, which showcased her unique culinary talents. Cooking and food were life-long passions. Desserts were her specialty and she was known for her cheese cakes, chocolate tarts, and other confections. Linda worked the last twenty-five years for Woodhill Pediatrics Associates.
Linda is preceded in death by her parents, her spouse, Dale, and most recently her brother, J.R. Chisam. Linda is survived by son, Bob Pickens and his wife Linda (Murphy); daughter Talana Gilara; grandson Austin Mickens and his wife Maria; granddaughter Bailey Gilara; and by her sweet poodle, Buttons!
Linda was a life-long member of the Church of Christ. In lieu of flowers, the family requests donations to the North Texas Food Bank or your charity of choice.
Visitation will be held at Highland Oaks Church of Christ, 10805 Walnut Hill Lane, Dallas, Texas, Saturday, August 14, 2021 at 10:30 a.m. followed by a memorial service at 11:00 a.m. Interment will follow at Wylie Cemetery where she will be laid to rest next to her life-long love, Dale.
Please leave the family condolences and share memories on this website.
It was such a nice pleasure to meet you, and what you had planned for my father just took my breath away. It was so special to hear you tell us how he would just come over to talk with you. I think it brought him much comfort. Tha you for putting that Air Force article of him on your website. I am going to have a replica made of the painting of his plane to give you. Thank you again for all you have done to honor our dad. Love, The Gillilands
Get In Touch
North Dallas Funeral Home
- When a Death has occurred please call us to make arrangements and to have one of our care team members assist you and your family immediately. Toll-free: 1-800-300-1655 Local: 972-241-9100
- Click here to Download the Cremation Forms
- Have the cremation authorization form notarized
- Fax the forms back to us at:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Facts about Funerals (PDF)
- General Price List (PDF)
- Hospice Groups in DFW Metroplex
- Hospitals in DFW Metroplex
- Flying with Cremated Remains (PDF)
- Social Security Information (PDF)
- Appointment of Agent to Control Disposition of Remains (PDF)
- Area Cemeteries
- VA Burial Benefits
- VA Applications and Request Forms
- VA Organizations
- Texas Prepaid Funeral Contracts
- What to Bring to the Arrangement Conference