Richard Dwight Jackson
Born in Athens, Texas, on January 11, 1943 was called home to our Lord on April 24, 2022. He was lovingly known by his family as Poppa, Pop and Tootsie.
He was preceded in death by his parents Herschal and Mabel Jackson, his brothers Herschal and Dan Jackson and his sister Kathleen Thun.
He is survived by his loving wife of 60 years Mary Jackson, son and daughter-in-law Jeffrey and Janet Jackson, grandchildren Chris, Christy, Jack and Jillian, great grandchildren Presley and Grayson, brother Kenneth Jackson, sister Melba Pelley, sister Annamary McGill along with numerous cousins, nieces and nephews.
Richard served in the U.S. Army at Fort Sill, Oklahoma from 1961 until 1964. He considered his service to his country an honor. He and Mary were married in 1961. After an honorable discharge from the Army, they moved to Farmers Branch, Texas. Richard was a believer in Jesus, loved his family and his country. He spent 25 years working for Purex and 8 years working for Johnson Controls before working for and retiring from Toro Corporation.
He loved the outdoors his entire life. He spent time fishing and hunting and had a love of all sports… mostly the game of baseball. He was an avid fan of the Texas Rangers. He was able to share that passion with others by coaching several seasons of his son’s and oldest grandson’s baseball teams.
Services will be held at North Dallas Funeral Home on Friday, April 29, 2022. Viewing will begin at 11:00 am and the services will begin at Noon. Internment will take place at a later date at the D-FW National Cemetery
It was such a nice pleasure to meet you, and what you had planned for my father just took my breath away. It was so special to hear you tell us how he would just come over to talk with you. I think it brought him much comfort. Tha you for putting that Air Force article of him on your website. I am going to have a replica made of the painting of his plane to give you. Thank you again for all you have done to honor our dad. Love, The Gillilands
Get In Touch
North Dallas Funeral Home
- When a Death has occurred please call us to make arrangements and to have one of our care team members assist you and your family immediately. Toll-free: 1-800-300-1655 Local: 972-241-9100
- Click here to Download the Cremation Forms
- Have the cremation authorization form notarized
- Fax the forms back to us at:
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Facts about Funerals (PDF)
- General Price List (PDF)
- Hospice Groups in DFW Metroplex
- Hospitals in DFW Metroplex
- Flying with Cremated Remains (PDF)
- Social Security Information (PDF)
- Appointment of Agent to Control Disposition of Remains (PDF)
- Area Cemeteries
- VA Burial Benefits
- VA Applications and Request Forms
- VA Organizations
- Texas Prepaid Funeral Contracts
- What to Bring to the Arrangement Conference